5 Unexpected Things You Should be Grilling
By Allison Witmer, B.S. in Nutritional Sciences, on behalf of Redner’s Marrkets
With summer’s warm weather, use any excuse we can to get outside, including while making dinner. Sure, your grill is great for classics like hamburgers and hot dogs, but it’s time to step it up! Try grilling these items for an unexpected way to wow any crowd.
- Cut a head of romaine lettuce in half lengthwise and spray the cut side with cooking spray. Place the lettuce, cut side down on a medium-high grill for 3 minutes or until it is wilted and slightly charred. Flip and repeat on the other side. Serve each half with your favorite toppings and dressing and be amazed as you transform your salad from sad to sizzling!
- Yes, even bacon is better on the grill! Choose thick-cut slices and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium-high heat until crispy. A little goes a long way with this calorie dense food, so keep portion sizes light (~1 slice). Enjoy on a burger, on top of a salad or incorporated into your favorite dish.
- What could be better than actual grilled cheese? Choose a wheel of cheese with a thick rind like Brie. Lightly brush the rind with olive oil before placing on the grill over indirect heat for about 4 minutes. Serve with grilled baguette slices.
- This summertime treat can be taken to the next level with just a few minutes on the grill! Cut your melon into ½ inch thick triangular slices. Combine 2 T. fresh lime juice with ¼ cup sugar and brush onto each slice. Grill on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks develop. Serve alone or sprinkled with feta cheese for added flavor!
- Who needs a pizza oven when you have a grill that can give your pie a crispy crust and subtly smoky flavor? Place a pizza stone on the grill and heat to medium high. Take premade pizza dough and roll into an approximately 12” circle. Lightly brush the crust with olive oil and add whatever toppings you’d like before grilling for 7-9 minutes. Once the cheese is melted and crust is cooked, remove from heat, slice and enjoy!