All Purpose Coffee Rub
Source: Pups with Chopsticks
This all-purpose coffee rub is our all-time favorite dry rub that we use on everything. It’s earthy, flavorful and great to use on anything you want to quickly cook up on the grill. Quick to make – you can double, triple or quadruple the recipe so that you only need to make it once and have plenty leftover. What does coffee “rub” taste like? Not like coffee, oddly. It has a dark earthy flavor combined with a nice balance of garlic and onion notes with a background flavor of cumin. The rub is low in sugar and salt so that you don’t get an overly salty or overly sweet result, which won’t overpower your BBQ sauces. We added a bit of cayenne for a spicy kick but that is completely optional and can be omitted. You can use any type of coffee for this rub (light, medium or dark roast). The darker the roast the stronger the flavor.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 5 mins
Servings: 1 Cup of Dry Rub
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee (medium grind)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoon onion powder (or dried onion flakes)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cayenne (Optional. Reduce the amount for a less spicy rub)
- Combine together in a large bowl and mix.
- Store in a well-sealed container away from direct sunlight. Sunlight damages spices and takes away the flavor with time.
- Do not use pre-used coffee grounds, it doesn’t have any flavour
- This recipe scales very well, create more to have it on hand to easily have it available