By Meredith McGrath RD, LDN at Redner’s Markets
When I think of summer, one of the first things that comes to my mind is the delicious taste of corn on the cob. Sure it’s messy, but most would agree it’s worth every kernel!
This starchy vegetable actually comes with plenty of good stuff too: fiber, folate, thiamin, phosphorus, vitamin C and magnesium. Here are 10 ways to enjoy your summer corn.
- Beef Up Your Soup! Adding corn to soup, whether it’s a chili or chowder, enhances the soup’s hardiness, as well as its nutritional profile.
- Add a Little Crunch to Your Guacamole. Add corn kernels and diced tomatoes to guacamole or salsa.
- Corn in Cornbread? For a little different texture, add corn to your cornbread or corn muffins.
- Relish Your Corn. Make a corn relish to serve as a side dish by combining chopped vegetables and beans mixed with a vinaigrette.
- Get Poppin’. Popcorn is always one of our favorite go-to snacks. It’s satisfying, full of fiber and counts as a whole grain!
- Perfect in Dips, Sides or Toppings! Try a roasted corn salsa. It’s great with low-fat tortilla chips or in a quesadilla.
- A Taco Salad Must-Have. An easy mid-week meal solution, toss corn, fresh off the cob, frozen or canned on this family favorite.
- A Healthy Sauté. Sauté cooked corn in a small amount of oil with green chiles and onions. Served hot, this makes a wonderful side dish.
- Quick Corn for Lunch? Microwave it. Can’t get any easier than this!
- Veer from the Usual Ear. Sprinkle your corn on the cob with a little Parmesan cheese or some of your favorite herbs and spices.