Contributed by Rachael Romig
I used to work at an Italian restaurant called Bensi, in Wyomissing, (RIP!) and I discovered chicken Milanese. I never knew something could be so easy, healthy and delicious. When friends were coming over for dinner recently I remembered this amazing dish and found a recipe online from SkinnyTaste.com. I’m always looking for ways to make my food healthier and this recipe was perfect. I also have to consider using gluten free products for my husband, so the swaps were super easy.
What I loved is that no egg was used to drench the chicken; the recipe called for lemon juice and olive oil which I thought was interesting and honestly doubted. But it worked perfectly. The only thing I changed for the recipe as I mentioned was the use of gluten free breadcrumbs instead. We use Aleia’s Italian Bread Crumbs at home and they have an excellent taste and get nice and crunchy. I normally also add gluten free panko breadcrumbs to get things extra crispy, but I was out of them at the time (darn!).
I followed the recipe to the letter and my dinner was a huge success. The peppery arugula paired perfectly with tomatoes and balsamic atop the crispy chicken. I chose to serve the dish with a side of spinach fettuccine with marinara. It was healthy, filling and everyone went back for seconds!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups baby arugula
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (or parmesan)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil spray (I used my misto)
- In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil and balsamic.
- Add tomatoes, basil and onions; season with salt and pepper. and toss.
- Set aside at least 10 minutes so the juices combine.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place a large baking pan in the oven to get hot.
- Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl.
- In another bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Lightly pound chicken breasts into cutlets, you should have 6.
- Wash and dry cutlets well with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip cutlets into lemon/oil mixture, then into breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray on top.
- Bake chicken, turning once halfway through for about 15 minutes total, or until chicken is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula and tomato salad on top.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 3 oz chicken with salad
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 250 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Sodium: 2mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 3g