By Chetna Makan, Chef and Cookbook Author
Lentil and Mango Summer Salad
- 100 g split yellow lentils
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 raw green or unripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of cold water for 3 to 4 hours, then drain thoroughly. Return to the bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they start to sizzle, remove the pan from the heat and add the chili flakes and salt. Pour this over the salad.
- Drizzle the salad with the lemon juice, toss it all well, and serve.
- This will last in the fridge for a couple of days.