Recipe by Donna Hay, food stylist, author, and magazine editor
- 1 x 400-g (14-oz.) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (120 g/4¼ oz.) frozen peas, slightly thawed
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 cup (90 g/3 oz.) finely chopped broccoli
- 2 cups (70 g/2½ oz.) firmly packed shredded kale leaves
- 1 cup (24 g/¾ oz.) flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup (8 g/¼ oz.) mint leaves
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Flatbreads, to serve
- Arugula, to serve
- Sliced radishes, to serve
- Labne (strained yogurt available at specialty gourmet and ethnic food stores), to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking tray with nonstick baking paper.
- Place the chickpeas, onion, peas, chia seeds, broccoli, kale, parsley, mint, cumin, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor and process until very finely chopped.
- Press 2-tablespoon portions of the mixture into patties and place on the tray. Brush the patties generously with oil and bake for 15 minutes. Brush the patties with more oil and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Divide flatbreads between serving plates and top with arugula, radish, labne, and the falafels to serve.