By Sana Malik, Personal Chef of Clean Junk Food
Ah, summer! Time for barbecues, ice cream, and ice-cold brews. Yes, it is the time for eating those delicious foods that tend to wreak havoc on our systems. While eating hot dogs and hamburgers every weekend is enjoyable, there comes a time when something light is just what the palate ordered. When I am craving something light during the heat, I love to make this roasted shrimp and asparagus salad!
“But, you want me to turn on the oven in the summer?” Yes, I do! Hear me out, by roasting the shrimp and asparagus, a new flavor emerges. Also, you’ll only need the oven for roughly 10 minutes, not enough time to send the temperature of your home to the level of Hades.
In addition to the asparagus, I like to serve this dish over a bed of crisp romaine or tender Boston lettuce. And for a spicy kick, I like to add a handful of arugula. Fresh spring greens, tender asparagus, and juicy shrimp, a meal made in heaven! Oh, and there is a bonus to this dish, you can make it a day ahead! Perfect if you’ve elected to bring something to the next summer get together. To make ahead: mix shrimp, asparagus, and dressing together and mix with the salad greens at serving time.
While I enjoy this dish over salad greens, this recipe is delicious without them.
Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad
- 1 lb. Large Shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 Bundles of thin to medium width Asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Head of Boston or Romaine Lettuce
- 1 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp of Sea Salt
- ½ tsp of Pepper
- 2 T of Olive Oil
- Shallot Vinaigrette (see below)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes. While asparagus is roasting, toss shrimp, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl and toss until well coated.
- After 4 minutes, remove the baking pan from the oven and move asparagus to one side. Spread the shrimp in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast both for 5- 8 minutes until done. When cool, chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces and Set aside.
- Add to a serving bowl, 4 tablespoons of shallot vinaigrette, shrimp, asparagus, and Boston lettuce/ Spring mix. Toss to coat and serve immediately!
Makes a ¼ cup of dressing
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of Garlic, chopped
- 2 Mint Leaves, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Place all ingredients to jar or container with a resealable lid. Shake to combine. Keeps up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Clean Junk Food Bio
Clean Junk Food is a personal chef business that offers in-home cooking lessons, food parties & demos, catering, and meal delivery focusing on recreating all of those yummy, delicious foods we love (a.k.a. junk foods) using whole food, plant-based ingredients. My mission is to teach the world how to make decadent treats in a healthy way! My motto is “cook clean so you can eat dirty!”