By Moms Demand Action
Did you know that:
- 1.7 million American children live in homes with guns that are both loaded and unlocked
- Every year, nearly 300 children 17 and under gain access to a firearm and unintentionally shoot themselves or someone else, often fatally
- Every year, nearly 500 children 17 and under die by suicide with a gun
Kids are kids and don’t always make smart decisions about their own safety. Always assume that curious or impulsive kids may find and touch and unsecured gun, even if they’ve been told not to. If a child handles a gun, a bad decision can quickly become a fatal one. SMART adults can protect vulnerable kids by storing guns locked, unloaded, and separately from ammunition, and taking steps to make sure children never get unauthorized access to unsecured guns.
We have the power to prevent tragedies like these from happening. Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America has developed the SMART framework to help parents and adults prevent child gun deaths and injuries. Together, we can protect kids.
- Secure all guns in your home and vehicles
- Model responsible behavior around guns
- Ask about the presence of unsecured guns in others’ homes
- Recognize the risks of teen suicide
- Tell your peers to be SMART too
Moms Demand Action for gun Sense in America launched the Be SMART campaign to take action to promote responsible gun ownership and reduce child gun deaths. The campaign focuses on education and awareness about child gun deaths and responsible gun storage. Moms encourage parents and caretakers to “Be SMART” and take these five simple steps to help prevent senseless shootings by children. Visit BeSMARTforkids.org to learn more and get involved. When it comes to kids’ safety, we are all in this together!
Moms Demand Action is a grassroots movement of Americans fighting for public safety measures that can protect people from gun violence. We pass stronger gun laws and work to close the loopholes that jeopardize the safety of our families. We also work in our own communities and with business leaders to encourage a culture of responsible gun ownership. We know that gun violence is preventable, and we’re committed to doing what it takes to keep families safe.