Ginger-Cardamom Red Wine Sangria
Submitted By Sonali Dev, award-winning author and home chef
For the Ginger-Cardamom Syrup:
- 1 1/2 ounces peeled ginger root (about one 4 1/2-inch knob)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 20 green cardamom pods or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the Sangria:
- 2 1/4 cups red wine
- 1 cup fresh orange juice or any fruit juice you love
- 1 batch Ginger-Cardamom Syrup
- Chilled seltzer or club soda (optional)
- Candied ginger, for garnish (optional)
To Make the Ginger-Cardamom Syrup:
- Extract fresh ginger juice (I grate and hand squeeze). Should yield 2 tablespoons.
- In a small saucepan, combine ginger juice, water, and sugar. Warm over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, removing from heat as soon as sugar dissolves; do not let boil.
- Add cardamom (powder or pods), cover, and let cool. Refrigerate about 2 hours.
To Make the Sangria:
- Add wine and fruit juice to a pitcher. Strain Ginger-Cardamom Syrup into pitcher and stir to mix.
- Serve over ice and top with seltzer or club soda if desired. Garnish with candied ginger.
USA Today bestselling author Sonali Dev writes Bollywood-style love stories that explore universal issues. Her novels have been named Best Books of the Year by Library Journal, NPR, the Washington Post, and Kirkus. She has won numerous accolades, including the American Library Association’s award for best romance, the RT Reviewer Choice Award for best contemporary romance, multiple RT Seals of Excellence, has been a RITA® finalist, and has been listed for the Dublin Literary Award. Shelf Awareness calls her “Not only one of the best but one of the bravest romance novelists working today.”
She lives in Chicagoland with her husband, two visiting adult children, and the world’s most perfect dog.
Find more at sonalidev.com.