Most of us are time crunched and need lunch in a hurry on a busy workday. Well, take heart, there are healthy options you can quickly pick up at the grocery store, as healthy fast food items can be harder to find than you think. Use these tips to help you navigate the aisles at your favorite grocery store to eat healthy on the run:
1. Use the store salad bar for fresh fruit and veggies. Skip regular dressing and reach for fruit or herb infused vinegar.
2. Prepared salads, wraps, cut up veggies, or containers of fresh fruit are a good choice too! Pair with low fat cheese snacks for added calcium and protein.
3. Hummus with raw veggies make a nice afternoon work snack.
4. Try prepared chicken or fish in the hot bar that has been steamed, grilled, or broiled. Canned tuna in water is an easy pick-up and a good alternative.
5. Steamer veggie bags can be microwaved at work for instant steamed vegetables. Try sprinkling low fat cheese on top.
6. Choose lean cuts of deli meat for a healthier sandwich.
7. Nonfat yogurt or low fat cottage cheese is full of protein. Add your own fruit for more flavor and fiber. Favor fresh fruit over canned or frozen, but if you choose the latter, pick ones without added sugar.
8. Pick healthy, unsalted raw, and dry-roasted varieties of nuts and seeds from the healthy food bulk aisle.
9. Look for almond or peanut butter in single serve containers to pair with an apple.
10. You can find whole grain and low sodium crackers and pita chips in the deli section. Alternatively, try unsalted, reduced sodium low fat microwave popcorn for a snack.
½ cup low sodium marinara sauce
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp kosher salt
½ cooked whole grain small shell pasta
½ cup zucchini noodles/ribbons, or chopped zucchini
½ cup chopped fresh spinach
1.5 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
Combine marinara, pepper, and salt in the bottom of a wide-mouthed 1-pint glass jar. Layer the pasta, zucchini , spinach, and cheese; seal. Refrigerate until ready to use. Add piping hot water within 1 inch of the rim. Cover and let stand 2 minutes before eating.
Enjoy your quick and healthy lunch!