Hot Spiced Apple Cider
Published in Taste of Home August/September 2003
Take advantage of the fall season and its abundance of all things apple to make a delicious apple cider to warm you up on a nippy autumn day!
- 1 gallon apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients. Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to the pan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until flavors are blended (do not boil). Discard spice bag.
1 cup: 113 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.