Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant
This stuffed eggplant is filled to the brim with the Mediterranean flavors of sun dried tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, quinoa and a medley of spices. It is perfect as a main dish or side dish along with your favorite protein.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare the eggplant by slicing it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant with a large spoon, leaving 1/2 inch around the perimeter.
- Place eggplant halves flesh side up in a baking dish. Drizzle eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast eggplant for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and red bell pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add the diced flesh of the eggplant and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the eggplant begins to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, can of drained diced tomatoes and spices. Mix so everything is combined. Turn off the heat and add the quinoa, fresh spinach and basil. The residual heat will wilt the spinach.
- Scoop the filling into the cooked eggplant boats. Top with feta cheese, more fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.