Source: Everyday Food, Oct 2007
Warm up your winter with this gut healthy soup that is loaded with fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. Bonus, it’s all vegetarian too and a great way to add to your daily vegetable intake!
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (19oz each) of white (cannellini) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb (2 bunches) collard greens, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes in juice
- Grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until onion is coated, about 30 seconds. Add collard greens, thyme, and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until collards start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Place 1/4 of beans in a bowl, and mash them with the back of a spoon (this will help thicken soup). Add all the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, until collards are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; serve with grated Parmesan, if desired.