Adobo Chicken and Kale Enchiladas
Source: Eating Well magazine Nov-Dec 2017
Nut-free, gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and a healthy recipe for bone and brain health, plus boosts immunity!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (1¼ cups)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoons minced chipotles in adobo
- 12 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup diced white onion, divided
- 1½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (12-inch) over medium-high heat. Add kale and water; cook, stirring, until bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, cumin, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine enchilada sauce, sour cream and chipotles to taste in a small bowl. Spread ½ cup of the mixture in the pan. Place 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping them to cover the bottom. Top with half the chicken mixture, ¼ cup onion and ½ cup cheese. Layer on half the remaining sauce, 4 tortillas, the remaining chicken, ¼ cup onion and ½ cup cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas until bubbling, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup onion before serving.